Nowadays practically any business would benefit from a website, reaching more customers and doing so easily, but don't limit yourself by using free website builders, because it's free for a reason and you need to make a good first impression! Read on to find out what WordPress is and what it can do for you.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a free Blogging & Content Management System framework with an intuitive graphical user interface to make the process of managing your site a matter of points-and-clicks. It was first meant to be a blogging-only solution but with time, as it became more popular, the developers added more features which transformed the software into a Content Management System, that could compete with such as Drupal.
WordPress uses Themes & Plugins which act in the plug-and-play fashion that, respectively, modify the Look & Feel (functionality) of your site without writing any code!
What can WordPress do for you?
Anything, WP can be customized to meet every need, even the most demanding and unique. Following are examples of sites WP can easily power:
- A website serving as a virtual business card for your business Fancy front page with an image slider that packs a lot of information in limited space, stylish content boxes to highlight the services of your firm, separate pages containing a contact form for your possible clients to contact you, a gallery showcasing images/videos of your products or services, a possible Blog page which holds your blog posts, which may be some CEO ramblings on company's deeds or helpful articles helping your customers have a better experience. This is the most popular type of sites. Examples: http://www.campaignmonitor.com and http://basecamphq.com/
- A membership website Where people can sign up and access paid content.
- A Blog Where you post useful articles pertaining to a niche to answer a need, and if you know what you're doing, you can make money doing so, but that's another topic.
- A news portal WordPress can be customized to act like Yahoo, it's that powerful.
- An e-commerce site Got products to sell? WordPress can be transformed into an online store with just the installation of a simple plugin.
- A job postings site Or anything else, organized information to solve a problem, free or paid, Craigslist anyone?
... And much more, WordPress is a flexible and powerful framework that has become one of the most popular in the world and continues to rise.
The best thing about WordPress
It's completely open-source and free, all you need to build a professional website is: dedicated (not free) hosting, a professional domain (not free sub-domains) and a premium WordPress theme to really give your site that professional look! Free themes are abundant and some are not bad, but not as good as the premium counterparts and lack future updates that premium themes' authors supply.
Hiring a web developing firm's service would cost anything from 500$ to 2000$ for a simple WordPress site, save that money for the mortgage and do it yourself!
All in all, building a professional WordPress business website is possible and doesn't require a line of code, visit my website dedicated to this process at Making a Website with WordPress -- A step-by-step guide with images to walk you through the process of expanding your business to the online world.
I'm a Webtrepreneur and Developer having a strong affection to WordPress, visit my site to find out how you can go about Making a Website with WordPress for your business completely by yourself.